A place to be real about a life of chaos, with eight beautiful children, homeschooling, special needs, adoption, sanity or the lack thereof.........a rubber hits the road sort of journey that I thankfully do NOT walk alone!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

How Beautiful it is.....

I had a woman say to me today...."I just can't wait for the kids to get back to school!"


She went on to say things like, " the kids are driving me totally crazy!", "I can't stand the whining and fighting and complaining!", "They are constantly complaining about being bored!", "I'll give them something to do !!!!"...........


We've all had conversations like this and I would be lying if I didn't honestly say that I've even uttered all of the above words; perhaps in the last week while I'm being open here! :) But....even on those days when formal "education" that occurs outside these walls we call home sounds like a super option, if I'm honest with myself it's not what would be best for us.


Summer certainly provides different challenges when the children in this house that are so dependent on routine and "knowns" are forced to "hang loose" at little, go with the flow! It sometimes means there are more temper tantrums, a lot less listening, more grumbling perhaps but the lack of structure only serves as a reminder to me how important having them home during the school year is. It's in these moments of heightened emotions and expressed "opinion" that I am most challenged as a Mom and secretly as I wade through the moments and come to a resolution I am strengthened in my resolve....









Pull you hair out moments like this......











are quickly replaced by individual quiet moments like these.....




See....They are capable of amusing themselves in gentle, quiet, NON violent ways....sometimes it's a ratio thing....


Today a friend offered to have two of my kids over for play dates with two of hers. Don't get me wrong here, the two that went aren't necessarily trouble makers....well ok one of them is...but often, winning the battle is all about switching it up a bit, changing the options, perhaps providing fewer options!! As a result those that remained didn't have the usual playmates perhaps...it resulted in quite a great, peaceful day. (Side note---we have had many "great, peaceful days" with the said two missing children home with us! )


I am struggling a bit with some personal stress right now and believe you me....I will take peace however it is served!


So today...some windows got washed, several loads of laundry, some movies watched, a nap or two had by even the oldest of my kids, some painting, crafting, playing in the dirt (it was thankfully bath night!), raking and bouncing on the trampoline.


As the day was coming to an end my nine year old excitedly called me to the sunroom to see what I would describe as an ugly large moth flapping vigorously up against the window. He stood there in awe and finally said, "Isn't it just beautiful Mom?...It looks so happy!" I suppose it takes a child to remind me....even in the midst of flailing around in the stresses and strains of what life sometimes looks like, with all the whining and perceived "boredom" and never ending chores ...even when others are "driving me a little crazy", if I just stop long enough to observe in awe the many, many blessings I am surrounded by I will realize just how beautiful it is!



No comments:

Post a Comment